Wednesday 23 March 2011

UNcomic relief

Right this blog is a quick one. Its just to show my disgust at the begining of Comic Relief last Friday, with Lenny Henry. It was a scene from the Kings Speech, in which the Duke of York (later known as George VI) is shown at Wembley, and he is stammering while making a speech. Lenny Henrys comment was "hurry up we've only got 7 1/2 hours."
This comment received loads of complaints, and the founder of comic relief has came out and apologised. However, as someone who stammers, I know what its like to be told to hurry up, and have my sentences finished off. Its the worst feeling in the world. Its a right confidence knocker. The BBC, comic relief and Lenny Henry should be ashamed. They wouldnt dare of said anything  about people with cebral palsy, or other disabilaties. Why should stammering be any diffrent? Its protected under the Equality Act 2010.
I've never been a big supporter of Comic Relief, but Lenny Henrys comments has put me off even more. I also used to think Lenny Henry was quite funny. But now he has shown the guy that he really is. Just a sick sick guy, who thinks its ok to mock those who stammer. Well, thanks to Mr Henry and the BBC for supporting the bullies instead of those who need their support

1 comment:

  1. I didn't see Comic Relief but I have heard about it. Comics show their true colours when they scrape the barrel by trying to get laughs at the expense of people who have any kind of disability.

    I was interviewed on the phone for the Glasgow Herald by a reporter with a stammer. He struggled at times but I just waited til he finished what he was saying before answering. It's a common courtesy. The BBC need a kick up the behind.

    ReplyDelete